Season 9 spoilers, but no spoilers for the Christmas special
In preparation for the Christmas special, I was going to do a big post about River Song. I’m watching all of her episodes in order from her perspective. I ran out of time because she has been in A LOT of episodes! Which is great, don’t get me wrong, since I love River. It’s just going to take me a little longer to get through all of them.
In the meantime, here are my hopes and fears for The Husbands of River Song.
What I’m hoping for:
- That we will see some of River’s other flings. My initial thought was that “Husbands” refers to different regenerations of the Doctor. However, from the trailer it looks like we meet at least one other husband who is not the Doctor. I could see River having like 50 guys (or girls or hey, even aliens) that she runs around with. She is such a charmer that she could juggle many relationships at once. She and the Doctor don’t exactly have a traditional marriage, after all.
- A rollicking good time. The Christmas Special is usually good for this; a break from everything else that’s going on. Since the Doctor has forgotten about Clara, this can be a lighthearted adventure with no grieving.
- References to their other adventures and syncing diaries. I always love references to things that happen off-screen – the montages of adventures with Clara and Amy/Rory, for example. I think we usually don’t get a sense of just how long they spend traveling with the Doctor. There’s so much to his universe outside of what we see, and any glimpse of that is nice.
- In some of the promo pictures, River seems to be dressed up. I’m hoping that she and the Doctor go on a romantic date. I can picture them sitting down to dinner, elegant and charming and delightful. Then something goes wrong and they spring into action to help.
And here’s what I’m hoping not to see:
- A final goodbye to River. The Name of the Doctor was heartbreaking for me, because I thought they were never going to have her back on the show again. It was a fitting goodbye, but so was Clara’s death in Face the Raven, I suppose, and we saw what happened with that. I guess in Doctor Who there’s almost always a chance for characters to come back. I was ecstatic when I found out River was going to be in this year’s Christmas special. She also has the audio adventures coming out next year, which I will be awaiting eagerly. No matter what happens, I will always have a little hope for River, because she could always pop back in for an episode at a random point in her timeline.
- Really bad jokes. But I know this will happen because, again, Christmas episode.
- I’m hoping we don’t see Clara. She has left and come back so many times that I don’t think I can count this out (see above). I do like Clara, and I wouldn’t be upset if they meet up again in the future while she’s flying around in her Tardis, but we need some time away from her right now.
All in all, I’m very excited to see River again, to see the Doctor’s new screwdriver, and just to enjoy one more episode before a long break.